Lecture 12: Modular Programming I:

Procedures

Until now we have only used the things that were supplied by PASCAL. We have learned how to write loops (for, while-do, repeat-until), how to have input and output (readln, writeln), how to control the flow of the program (if-then, if-then-else, case-of), how to declare variables (var), constants (const), how to assign values to constants (:=) and how to calculate, even up to complicated Boolean algebra, but we have never invented anything NEW. With Procedures and Functions we can do exactly that.
We already met a couple of procedures which are standard in PASCAL, namely Write, WriteLn, Read e ReadLn. Now we will define our own procedures.

Procedures and Functions are small subprograms or modules of the main program. Each of theses modules performs a certain task. This helps to organize the program and make it more logic and can also increase the programming efficiency by avoiding repetitions of parts of the program.

There are two type of modules

1. Modules which don't return anything. In PASCAL these are called Procedures. Of these there are two subtypes
  2. Modules that are returning values. In PASCAL these are called Functions. Again, there are two subtypes

Procedures

Modules that are not returning any value are called Procedures. They just do something and don't return anything. They can either accept parameters (and work with them) or do things without any input from outside. In any case, Procedures are like programs-within-programs. They have A prototype of the declaration of a procedure:
 Procedure ProcedureName

Var <variable_list>;
 Const <const_list>;

begin
   instructions;
 end;

The place to declare a procedure is inside the program (so after the program name declaration), but before the beginning of the main program, so before the first begin statement.

Calling

After declaring a new procedure, we can use it in the main program. This is called calling the procedure. We do this by writing the name of the procedure. As a complete example

program code

PROGRAM WithProcedure;

Var x: real;

PROCEDURE Module1;
var y: real;
begin
  WriteLn('Now I am entering Procedure Module1');
  WriteLn('Give a value for y:');
  ReadLn(y);
  Writeln(y/3:0:3);
end;

begin
  WriteLn('Starting the program');
  Module1;
end.

output

Starting the program
Now I am entering Procedure Module1
Give a value for y:

A program calling one of
its procedures

Procedures calling procedures

Procedures can also be called by other procedures or functions. Under normal circumstances, in PASCAL these procedures have to be declared after the procedure to be called, though. Take a good look at the following program and the output it generates when run:
program code

PROGRAM TwoProcedures;

PROCEDURE Module1;
begin
  ReadLn(y);
  WriteLn('Leaving Module1');
end;

PROCEDURE Module2;
var z: real;
begin
  WriteLn('Now I am entering Procedure Module2');
  Module1;
  WriteLn('Give a value for z:');
  ReadLn(z);
  Writeln(z*2:0:3);
  WriteLn('Leaving Module2');
end;

begin
  WriteLn('Now I am starting the program');
  Module2;
end.

output

Now I am starting the program
Now I am entering Procedure Module2 
Give a value for y:
Leaving Module1
Give a value for z:
Leaving Module2

A program calling one of its procedures
which, in turn, is calling one other procedure

Use of variables

Yes: Procedures can make use of the variables of the main program, but not the other way around:
No: The main program cannot make use of the variables of the procedures. Think of the procedure as a a box with one-way-mirror windows. From inside you can look outside, but from outside you do not see what is going on inside.
No: Procedures cannot use variables of the other procedures, for the same reason as why the main program cannot see the variables of the procedures. They can see the other procedures, but cannot look inside.

See the example program below. All the instructions in red bold italics are forbidden.

program code

PROGRAM ProcedureVariables; 

PROCEDURE Module1;
begin
  WriteLn(x);
  WriteLn(y);
  WriteLn(z); (* this is not allowed *)
end;

PROCEDURE Module2;
begin
  WriteLn(x);
  WriteLn(y); (* this is not allowed *)
  WriteLn(z);
end;

begin
  WriteLn(x);
  WriteLn(y); (* this is not allowed *)
  WriteLn(z);   (* this is not allowed *)
end.

forbidden (red dashed arrows) and
allowed (green solid arrows)
variable use.

Later we will take a look at these things in more detail.

Nesting

In most programming languages Procedures can be nested. We can write procedures within procedures within procedure within ....
Take a look at the program example below. The procedure within the procedure is shown in bold. Just like the variables of the procedure Module1, the sub-procedure Module2 is NOT visible outside the Module1.

program code

PROGRAM NestedProcedures;

PROCEDURE Module1;
  PROCEDURE Module2;
  begin
    WriteLn('Now I am entering Procedure Module2'); 
    WriteLn('Give a value for z:');
    ReadLn(z);
    Writeln(z*2:0:3);
    WriteLn('Leaving Module2');
  end;
begin
  ReadLn(y);
  Module2;
  WriteLn('Leaving Module1');
end;

begin
  WriteLn('Now I am starting the program');
  Module1;
    (* cannot use variables or procedures *)
    (*  of Module1 here:                  *)
    (* cannot call Module2 here           *)
    (* cannot use variable y or z here    *) 
end.

output

Now I am starting the program
Give a value for y:
Now I am entering Procedure Module2
Give a value for z:
Leaving Module2
Leaving Module1

Quick test:

To test your knowledge of what you have learned in this lesson, click here for an on-line test.

Peter Stallinga. Universidade do Algarve, 15 março 2002